"It’s so easy to add collagen to recipes, far easier than any protein powder or supplement I’ve ever worked with before. The beauty of it is that it dissolves in hot or cold liquid, and tends not to mess with the consistency, if anything it just adds to it, especially when it comes to this pie filling!
This pie is creamy, decadent, and with hidden health benefits. The nutty pecan and almond crust is super easy to whizz together and is way more satisfying than a straight-up pastry… in my opinion at least!" - Peachy
Preparation Time - 20 minutes
Cooking Time - 15 minutes + Setting Time
Servings - 8
For the Base
- 150g ground almonds
- 150g pecans
- 2 tbsp milled flaxseed
- 70g butter, melted
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar or soft brown sugar
For the Filling
- 1 can of pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling; approx. 400g
- 120g soft brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp Edible Health Collagen, Gut Health Collagen
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp sea or rock salt
- 30g cornstarch
- 200ml full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pecans and full fat coconut milk whipped to a cream for topping, optional*
- Preheat your oven 180C (350F).
- Blitz pecans to a coarse crumb in a mini chopper or food processor.
- Combine all base ingredients in a bowl.
- Line the base of a loose bottom 9 inch pie tin with baking paper and liberally grease the base and sides with spray oil.
- Place base ingredients into the prepared tin and spread evenly using your fingertips across the base and up the sides. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow to cool while you make the filling.
- Place all filling ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a pot, bring to the boil and simmer, stirring continuously for about 7 - 8 minutes.
- Pour filling into your cooked base. If you do have any lumps at this stage you can strain it through a sieve before placing it into the base.
- Cover the top of the pie with cling film right across the surface to prevent a skin from forming and place into the fridge to set for at least two hours or overnight.
- Slice and serve as is, it will be a beautiful consistency straight from the fridge, or top with whipped coconut cream and some chopped pecans. A drizzle of maple syrup is entirely optional and for those with an extra sweet tooth.
Shop Edible Health Gut Health Collagen Here:
*Refrigerate a can of full fat coconut milk overnight, drain off the water and whisk to soft peaks using an electric whisk or beater. Sweetened if desired with a little maple syrup. The coconut cream is naturally quite sweet as is so I find it doesn’t need any more sweetness for my taste!