The Top 10 Benefits of Bovine Collagen
If you’re thinking about adding bovine collagen to your daily routine, then you’ve come to the right place! Here we share everything you need to know about this ‘miracle molecule’, as well as the benefits of bovine collagen, which include, but are definitely not limited to:
- Skin Beauty
- Skin Health
- Gut Health
- Hair and Nails
- Bone and Joint Health
- Pre and post workout - performance and recovery
- Metabolism and weight loss
- Illness, injury and surgery
- Cognitive function and brain health
- Better sleep
What is bovine collagen?
Bovine collagen is collagen that is sourced from cows, but let’s take a step back and firstly explain collagen in general.
In a nutshell, collagen is the most prolific protein in the body, acting essentially as building blocks for our skin, hair, connective tissue, bones, organs, gut, muscles, tendons and ligaments.
Without collagen, we would literally fall apart!
Our bodies naturally produce collagen; however, these production levels decrease with age. Signs like sagging, wrinkling skin, painful joints and thinning hair are just some indicators of reduced collagen levels. Taking a collagen supplement may support this decrease and help boost natural production of collagen in the body.
Where does bovine collagen come from?
Collagen is typically sourced from either cows or fish, although it is possible to get collagen supplements from eggshell membranes. Here, at Edible Health, we are also keeping our eyes on the development of bovine collagen from sheep. One thing to note though is that there is no such thing as vegetarian or vegan collagen. Collagen is an animal protein and is not found anywhere in the plant kingdom.
As mentioned, bovine collagen is sourced from cows. This makes it an ideal option for those with allergies, a dislike of fish and fish by-products or for those who cannot eat beef products for health or other reasons.
Edible Health’s bovine collagen comes entirely from cowhides from farms registered by the EU to produce and import edible bovine sources. As the hides are by-products from the meat industry that would otherwise go to waste, collagen production is actually a sustainable process. We use a cutting-edge, solvent-free, alkaline manufacturing process that is fully certified as BSE safe and which produces a very pure, very easy to absorb collagen powder that it free from all antibiotics, hormones, steroids, veterinary medicines, toxins, carcinogens and allergens.
What is hydrolysed collagen?
If you’ve heard the term hydrolysed collagen, it simply means that the collagen has already been broken down into smaller chains of amino acids (called peptides) that the body can more easily digest. This makes the collagen more bioavailable which is why the results can often be seen so quickly. Good news - Edible Health Bovine Collagen Powder is hydrolysed.
Top 10 hydrolysed bovine collagen benefits
Once they’ve experienced the results for themselves, our customers are incredibly loyal. Although our powders are taken largely as an effective ‘all-rounder’ for optimum health and well-being, we regularly hear from devoted customers about specific health benefits that collagen delivers. These include:
- Skin beauty - for fighting the signs of ageing such as fine lines, wrinkles, sagging skin, loss of plumpness or that ‘glow’ and uneven complexion.
- Skin health - for skin allergies and conditions such as eczema, rosacea and psoriasis.
- Gut health - for general immunity, leaky bowel syndrome, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Irritable Bowel Disease (IBD), endometriosis, fibromyalgia and colitis.
- Hair and nails - for hair loss, hair thinning, lacklustre hair and weak or brittle nails.
- Bone and joint health - for joint pain, arthritis, stiffness and inflammation.
- Pre and post-work-out - for increased stamina, greater energy, less muscle loss, reduction in Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS), muscle building, expedited recovery and repair.
- Metabolism - for improving muscle mass to stimulate metabolism.
- Illness or injury recovery - for childbirth, broken bones, surgery and poor immunity.
- Brain Health - for cognitive function, energy, memory and concentration.
- Sleep Health - for insomnia and sleep quality.
What is the difference between bovine collagen and marine collagen?
Our bovine collagen comes from cowhide, whilst our marine collagen is derived from fish skin. Aside from the source and cost (marine collagen is more expensive), there are no differences in terms of efficacy. Yes - there are tiny variations in the amino acid profiles and you may sense a slight difference in taste or smell but don’t believe the myths that say marine collagen is better - find out a lot more about bovine and marine collagen here. The quality of collagen drives efficacy, not the source material. Beware of sellers who say this - they are probably just trying to sell you their product!
How long does it take for bovine collagen to work?
Our recommended serving size is 13g of bovine collagen every day and science says results can be seen in around 4-8 weeks. However, for some people, results may be quicker but they can also take longer.
Our diets, lifestyles, gut health, ability to digest protein and internal health needs will all determine what our body uses the collagen for and where/how it will improve our health. Be patient, persistence and consistency are the key to success.. Every body is literally different.
The best bovine collagen recipes
Speaking of taking collagen, you might be interested in some fantastic recipe inspiration. Some customers are happy to simply add their serve into a daily coffee, tea, smoothie or bowl of porridge. But others seek a more epicurean adventure! Here are just some of the sensational recipes created by our Instagram foodie friends.
- Spinach collagen crepes
- Spicy cottage pie
- Mixed seed loaf
- Collagen Greek yoghurt oat pancakes
- Collagen blueberry crumble nicecream
- Healthy peanut butter & almond fudgey brownies
- Pumpkin doughnuts with maple collagen frosting
- Chocolate filled sandwich cookies
- Coconut collagen chocky eggs
Edible Health Bovine Collagen Powder
If you’re keen to give Edible Health bovine collagen powder a try, jump over to our shop page now. Remember, you can dip your toe in the water with a trial 400g tub, or you can dive straight in with a monthly subscription and save money. The choice is yours, but we know you’re going to love this collagen!
*Please note, this product is only available for purchase in the UK and EU. Take a look at our US collections page for products available here
The information we have provided herewith and all linked materials are not intended nor should they be construed as medical advice. Moreover, the information herewith should not be used as a substitute for professional medical expertise or treatment. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions and consult your General Practitioner for advice specific for you.