Vitamin C and Collagen - Everything You Need To Know
Let’s get straight to the point shall we?
Is Vitamin C directly responsible for the production of collagen? … No.
Is Vitamin C needed for enzymes that synthesise collagen?... Yes, absolutely!
Now, whilst most of us get adequate Vitamin C in our diets, it is important to make sure we are getting enough to help our bodies produce collagen?
Here we find out why Vitamin C helps collagen production and share some sensational Vitamin C-boosting ideas for your daily diet.
Does Vitamin C help collagen production?
In a nutshell, yes, Vitamin C is vital for collagen production. However, let’s take a step back to answer this question more thoroughly.
Two enzymes are essential for the production of collagen. They are:
- Proxyl hydroxylase, which serves to stabilise the collagen molecule, and;
- Lysyl hydroxylase, which gives collagen its structural strength and cross-linking features.
For both these enzymes to perform, they require Vitamin C. So, Vitamin C is not directly responsible for collagen production. However, it is needed to support the crucial enzymes responsible for collagen synthesis.
Does Vitamin C stimulate collagen production?
As we’ve learned, Vitamin C’s presence supports the enzymes that produce collagen, but it does not help make more of it or make it any faster.
Can I use collagen and Vitamin C together?
Yes, you can take Vitamin C and collagen together - doing so will not compromise the efficacy of either.
When is the best time to take collagen and Vitamin C?
Vitamin C and collagen can be taken together or separately at any time of the day (or throughout the day).
How much Vitamin C is required to ensure collagen production?
The average modern Western diet should provide adequate levels of Vitamin C without having to worry about this. Government guidelines suggest around 60-90mg per day per adult but we are all different and this will vary depending on our age, weight, lifestyle, gut health and immune system. However, we have captured some great ideas below for how to boost this vitamin naturally in your diet!
Vitamin C-boosting ideas for your diet
Some days, good old fashioned orange juice just can’t be beaten, can it? That said, our team loves coming up with different ways to get their daily doses of Vitamin C and how to get the most from their Edible Health collagen. Here are just some of our faves:
- Jamu. If you’ve been fortunate enough to spend time in Bali, then you know this is the go-to drink for everything. A powerhouse of fresh turmeric,ginger, lime juice and black pepper, it’s more a daily tonic than an ordinary drink that delivers so much more than just Vitamin C.
- Broccoli contains about 51mg of Vitamin C in every cup. Why not use it as a cracker replacement for dips, a kind of tapas-style way to get your fix?
- Summer berry smoothie. What’s fresh off the vine where you’re living? Grapes, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants - these are all bursting with Vitamin C and together make for one incredibly smoothie! But if you fancy something more tropical, guava packs the biggest C-punch, a lot more than oranges, kiwis and papaya!
- We love this one because it combines so many Vitamin C-rich ingredients, and it’s a lovely savoury option… blanch Brussel sprouts and saute them in diced onion and garlic. Sprinkle over Balsamic vinegar, a squeeze of lemon juice, and some of your favourite cheese. Heavenly salad, here you come.
- Why not visit our Blog recipes for inspiration? There you will find some great Vitamin-C powered, immune-boosting ideas that are sure to make your belly happy!
Do you have a Vitamin C-packed food or drink delight? We’d love to hear about it!
The information we have provided herewith and all linked materials are not intended nor should they be construed as medical advice. Moreover, the information herewith should not be used as a substitute for professional medical expertise or treatment. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions and consult your General Practitioner for advice specific for you.