Cashew Caramel Collagen Millionaire Shortbread Bars Recipe
Preparation Time - 30 minutes
Cooking Time - 15 minutes
Servings - 16
For the Base
- 120g plain flour, gluten free if necessary
- 120g ground almonds
- 60g butter, or coconut oil, melted
- 60ml maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
For the Collagen Caramel
- 200g smooth roast cashew butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt or two (you may need more or less depending on whether your cashew butter has salt in it)
- 110g coconut oil, melted
- 80ml maple syrup
- 4 tbsp Edible Health Collagen, Marine or Bovine Collagen
- 120g dark chocolate roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp smooth cashew butter
- Preheat your oven to 180C (350F).
- Line an 8 inch square tin with baking paper and lightly grease with oil or butter.
- Mix together all base ingredients in a bowl. Place mixture into your prepared tin and then press it down and spread evenly using your finger tips. Prick the base all over with a fork, and then bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature before you put the caramel layer on top.
- Whisk together all filling ingredients in a bowl. Alternatively you can throw it into your food processor.
- Pour the caramel over the base and then place into the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Melt the chocolate using 30 second increments in the microwave. Whisk in the cashew butter. This prevents the chocolate becoming super duper crisp so it’s easier to slice through the layers without it cracking.
- Pour the chocolate over the base. Spread evenly using a spatula, and then place into the fridge for 15 - 20 minutes to set.
- To slice, heat a sharp knife in a jug of boiling water. Dry, and then slice the shortbread squares, cleaning the knife after each slice! Store squares in the fridge for up to one week or freeze for up to one month.
- Squares get even more gooey and delicious when left to sit at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes before tucking in!