Lightly spicy, beautifully creamy and coconutty. I actually love eating this cold, especially as we come into SLIGHTLY warmer weather. The yellow split peas retain a lovely bite and the collagen mingles itself into the sauce seamlessly.
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 40 minutes
Servings - 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- ½ - 1 red chili finely diced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 200g yellow split peas
- 700ml water or stock
- 4 tbsp Edible Health Marine Collagen
- 200ml coconut cream
- Salt to taste
- Short grain brown rice, spring onion, toasted coconut and coriander to serve
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over a medium heat.
- Fry the onion in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, ginger and chili and cook for a further couple of minutes.
- Add in the cumin, coriander and turmeric. Mix for a minute before adding in the peas.
- Mix together, pour in the water or stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 35 - 40 minutes; until the split peas are tender but still a little bite.
- Stir in the coconut cream and collagen. Mix to combine and heat through for a further 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Serve with short grain brown rice, it’s so beautifully nutty, toasted coconut and lots of fresh coriander and spring onion!